Wednesday, September 15, 2010

a good bob.

why do we get so attached to our hair? i have spent more time over the years agonizing over whether or not i should cut it, or grow it out, or go blonder, or go back to the original shade (a brownishy, auburn concoction), than i dedicated to the contemplation of having more children. and no matter what i do, in the end, i never keep up the cut or the color and i always find myself in the exact same dilemma: what should i do with my hair now? it was all so easy as a child. i suffered, obliviously, through my fair share of bad haircuts and styles: a bowl-bob, a permed mullet, lines shaved in the sideburns (sadly, this is all too true), a crossover french braid, sun-in and red tints, to name a few. looking back, there were obvious times in my life when my mother was less than one hundred percent attentive to my style needs. but she probably didn't spend weeks weighing the pros and cons of cutting my hair. i have done this on aw's behalf. because i am an attentive mother. i have asked myself things like, 'will she look as cute as she did when she was two and her hair was short?' as well as, 'will she be angry at me if it hangs in her face?', 'will it grow out by the ballet recital next july?', and 'what if her neck is hairy?' all relatively unimportant in the grand scheme. but we're not talking about the grand scheme. we're talking about me saddling my daughter with a bad haircut that won't grow out for, what, six months, if we're lucky? it was a gamble. when it got down to it, i just wasn't capable of making such a weighty decision. she was. as we walked hand in hand, ponytail by swinging ponytail into the salon, i stopped, looked down at her, and bailed. she stood still, shook her lustrous head of hair, and said 'we're doing this.' so we did.


as a sidenote, aw rocks the skinny jeans like no one else can.

11 comments:

slopsemafamily said...

very cute! i love the headband...where can i get one?

Odd Family said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! She looks like a mini Erica now, like the picture on the side bar. I know how you love a good cardigan and cute jeans. Mee too! Beautiful! I would also like to know where those cute jeans and cardigan are from.

Britney said...

I love it. And her. And skinny jeans.

ellie said...

I love the cut - and I love the headband. Any style would be cute on her. I bet it feels light and airy. Waaaaay cute, Pain.
P.S. Thanks, Pain,for my watch returning to me. Don't know how that could have gotten left behind........

Lucy Wall said...

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! She looks just as cute as she did on our wedding day. When she was 2 and her hair was just as short! you just made both your lives a breeze. I am giddy with excitement because i am a nerd and love drastic changes on hair!!!! longest comment ever, ok i just love love love it! PS you really had a permed mullet, can i see those pictures?

Pini said...

really cute on her! good job mom.

Jenny said...

Love it, it is adorable. I just chopped my daughters hair. I should have taken her to the salon...but I am too cheap.

Amy J said...

I love it! She looks so much older though.... I miss you guys.

Jack Erb said...

Hi Walls,

Just wanted to check in and say hi. I love looking through the blog every once in a while.

Two things:

First, can't help but notice CW's football number. I know he probably picked it because of his G'Pa, but I like to think he picked it because all of the stories his dad has told him about his awesome college roommate.

Second, Erica asked what kind of kid breaks a window from inside the house? I did. Twice. Once with a book, and once with a toy car. But it wasn't my fault. My brother was the one who ducked both times. Maybe it was because I am also the oldest, but I also mewed like a dead cat when I broke the windows. Loved the "Dead meat" line though.

Love you guys. I'm sure one of these days we'll find ourselves on the same side of the country so we can catch up on the good old times (like when Matt would walk into the apartment at 5:00am as Guymon was eating breakfast and reading his scriptures before he started his shift at the MTC).

Anonymous said...

i recently cute makinna's hair. mainly because she hates tangles. it's not as short as hers but i could go shorter. she still gives me fits about brushing it in the morning.

*on a sidenote, i do to have those really bad hair styles. so i feel your pain.

Britney said...

by the way . . . each time I pull up your blog I initially think it says "a good boob". apparantly i have been married to ben for too long.