- msn cited facebook as the primary factor in one of five divorces in the united states in 2009.
- no one cares if you are tired, sad, overwhelmed, sick, lonely, fighting a cough or a urinary tract infection, missing your husband or your boyfriend, drunk, irritated, annoyed by your children, in need of a girls' night out, excited about some future event; about what you just ate or are about to eat, the size of your thighs, how much you love your kids or your spouse, how much laundry you have, how little money you have, how hard school is, how often your spouse is gone, what book you're reading or movie you're watching, what the weather is like, where you lost your keys, what color your hair is today, how excited you are about the biggest loser, if your kids were funny or cute or exasperating today, or what your current mental status is. why on earth anyone would post about what they're doing throughout the day, is beyond me.
- comments about how great your husband or wife is or how much you love them are best left to texting. mw knows that i love him, and so does anyone who knows us, so i don't need to tell him on facebook. a phone call is a much better means of communicating this. when i read "i love you, babe!" or "i have the greatest hubby!" my first reaction is, do you? do you really? why does everyone else need to know? are you trying to convince someone? or yourself?
- young women have enough problems, i.e. young girls tend to be mean and ugly and selfish and untrustworthy by nature, without worrying about what someone is or isn't posting about them on facebook. for the whole world to read. and for their parents to see.
- if you are trying to find your bff from high school, and have no idea where to look or who to ask, if you have no connection to that person or the world that you previously inhabited, what makes you think that person wants to be friends with you anyway? after all these years. seriously?
obviously these are not hard facts. the first one is. the others are all educated conjecture. but it fits. right? you know it does. i'm not sure why i even created a facebook account. it's good for playdates. but it creeps me out. it creeps out mw. it's still better to make phonecalls. it's still more personal to call our favorites and hear their voices. and so i say, facebook is dumb.
9 comments:
i would have to agree with most of what you said. i have issues playing my 6 games a scrabble each day on there. haha. i take my turn, then get on again the next day to take my turn. anyway, yes, i hear you. too bad our "consulting" firm wants our office to have an account that we update at least once a month. and i get to do it. lucky me.
i am often refreshed by your commentary on the world in general ;)
a-freaking-men
and the point about loving your "greatest husband alive" = genius
love you.
hate facebook.
I just changed my facebook status to how totally awesome my sister-in-law E-dub is!!!!!!
I am so calling you right now!
ouch...I still think it's fun to facebook stalk...but,whats up with the farm crap?!
Amen sista!! :o) I closed my account about 3 months ago and havent regretted it for a second exactly for all the reasons you listed above! :o) I hope you dont mind I got your blog site off of Jess's blog! :o)
Aw Scoo, easy on the haterade. This post made me really sad to read. How does the old saying go? “Don’t hate the game; hate the playah.” I feel like your disdain for Facebook – the game – is misplaced. It is a FANTASTIC forum for reconnecting, sharing pics, sharing info, and networking. Sure, there are people who abuse it and do scandalous stuff, but that’s because they PERSONALLY are scandalous people, and if someone was that inclined to have indiscretions, that marriage wasn’t headed anywhere good anyway. Those morons all existed in real life, long before Facebook came along.
And actually, I think a lot of people DO care to read everyone’s status updates and hear what all of their friends are up to. I know I do. It’s the same reason why I peep at your blog from time to time…. To see how you and your family are doing. And by blogging, aren’t you doing the same thing? Putting what’s going on in your life and in your family’s life out there in a public forum for the people you care about to read? The spit up, the spilled spaghetti sauce in the pantry, the family holidays – people want to hear about even the mundane events in your life because they care about you. What’s the difference between your blog posts and peoples’ Facebook status updates? I love logging onto FB and seeing a snapshot of what’s happening in my friends’ lives, even if they may not be the 3-4 friends I have the opportunity to talk to on the phone every week. I just don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. Nor do I see anything wrong with trying to reconnect with your “bff” from high school… Egads – was it some kind of personal affront that we all friend-ed you? Sahhhree.
PS: Karrie and I have a design/lifestyle blog, should you ever be interested in taking a peek: www.covetliving.com
XO
Boof
Post a Comment